April, 12 2019
JW Marriott Hotel, Bucharest
The 7th edition of the EUROSFAT Forum, the largest forum on European affairs in Romania, is a project based on the European values of democracy, civic engagement and open dialogue and represents the perfect opportunity to debate current and critical European, national and regional political topics, alongside representatives from the local, regional and international political sphere, businesses and civil society. The forum is organized by Europuls – Centre of European Expertise (a non-governmental organization founded in 2010 in Brussels by a group of young Romanian experts in EU affairs), while SNSPA is co-organizer.
During the event, as part of a Europe for Citizens funded project focused on the impact of protests on European democracy, SNSPA, alongside the Romanian Center for European Policies (CRPE)will organize a panel called „Can civic engagement shape the outcome of the European elections?”, that will bring together CSOs representatives from Romania and candidates in the European Parliament elections from different EU Member States in an agora-style debate. We thus aim to answer a few questions such as:
· Why young generations are more reluctant in taking part in traditional forms of political participation but instead they are ready to join demonstrations?
· What are their main expectations from the future European Parliament?
· Are the new civic movements the actors of change in Europe?
· How citizens can better organize themselves in order to enhance their participation in politics and in the decision-making process?
· Can a civic movement influence political movements while maintaining its “civic” core?